Baker Farm Greens and Cornbread Slider
Todd White's Featured Recipe "Baker Farm Greens and Cornbread Slider" from the 2019 Georgia National Fair Georgia Grown Event Stage
- 32-oz bagBaker Farms Shredded Collard Greens
- 1large onion, small diced
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cupricotta cheese
- ½ cupcream cheese
- ½ cupparmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cupoil
- ½ lbCarroll’s Smoked Sausage, sliced thin and crisped in a pan, or cooked bacon, cut into 3 inch pieces
- Your favorite hot sauce
- 6 tablespoonsunsalted butter
- 1 cupcornmeal
- 3/4 cupall-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoonsugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoonsbaking powder
- 1/2 teaspoonbaking soda
- 1/4 teaspoonsalt
- 2large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cupsbuttermilk
Sauté collards, onion, and garlic in 2 tbsp oil for 5 minutes in a large pan on high heat, in batches if necessary. Remove from pan, after sautéing, remove large stems, and place into a strainer to press out as much liquid as possible. Put into a large bowl. Add the ricotta, cream cheese, and parmesan, mix and allow to cool for a few minutes. Next, add salt and pepper to taste and then incorporate eggs one at a time. Heat pan to medium heat and then add remaining oil. Scoop ¼ cup portions of the mix and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Add to cornbread as a slider with bacon or sausage and hot sauce, if desired. Serve.
Hint: Cornbread can be homemade or bought premade. Toppings can be added to fit your palate.
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and fold together until there are no dry spots (the batter will still be lumpy). Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
4. Bake until the top is golden brown, and tester inserted into the middle of the corn bread comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the cornbread from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.