Georgia Grown Braised Springer Mountain Farms Chicken thighs
Chef Jessica Gamble's Featured Recipe "Georgia Grown Braised Springer Mountain Farms Chicken thighs" from the 2019 Georgia National Fair Georgia Grown Event Stage
- 4chicken thighs
- 2 Tbspcanola oil
- 16 ozchicken stock
- 1large onion, sliced
- 1carrot, diced
- 4slices bacon, diced
- 6sprigs thyme
- 1 cupwhite wine
- 10pc cherry tomato
- to tasteSalt and Black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley or thyme for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
3. Add 2 tbsp canola oil to a medium oven-safe pot with a lid or dutch oven over medium high heat.
4. When oil is shimmering, add the chicken, skin side down, without crowding the pan.
5. Sear the chicken until golden brown and skin is crisp, in batches if necessary.
6. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
7. Add the onions, carrot, bacon and thyme to pan, still over medium high heat.
8. Allow to sauté until onions are golden and bacon fat has begun to render.
9. Add the cherry tomatoes, and deglaze with white wine, scraping to loosen the bits on the bottom of the pan.
10. Bring to a simmer, and allow wine to reduce by half, about 5-10 minutes. Add the chicken thighs back to the pot along with the chicken stock.
11. Place into preheated oven on middle rack and allow to cook until tender (about 1 to 1.5 hours)
12. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then serve the chicken over your preferred starch (grits, cornmeal polenta, rice, or mashed potatoes), and garnish with more thyme or chopped parsley if desired.