Ropa Vieja de Pollo
Chef Christian Perez's Featured Recipe "Ropa Vieja de Pollo" from the 2019 Georgia National Fair Georgia Grown Event Stage
- 2 poundsboneless, skinless Springer Mountain Chicken thighs
- 2red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2yellow bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1Vidalia onion, cut into quarters and sliced crosswise
- 128-ounce can diced tomatoes, or 6 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoonsground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 clovesgarlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoonoregano
- 2 tablespoonssweet paprika
- 8 tablespoonsolive oil, divided
1. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper
2. In a large skillet, or dutch oven, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add chicken thighs, and sear chicken on both sides to cook through completely.
4. Remove from skillet and let cool slightly. Using your hands or two forks, shred chicken and set aside.
5. To the same skillet add 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
6. Add onions, peppers and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, until onion is almost translucent.
7. Add tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes, until they begin to break down.
8. Add seasonings.
9. Simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
10. Add chicken and incorporate to the stew.
11. Finish with salt and pepper if needed.